Friday, October 12, 2007

The 74th good thing about Lagos: Celebrating the end of Ramadan

Eid Mubarak! That's the greeting we gave our Muslim driver yesterday, wishing him a happy Eid al-Fitr, which is the Muslim holiday at the end of Ramadan. He observes the holy month of Ramadan by fasting each day. I admired his dedication and it actually was kind of nice for me because I usually try to make allowances for his lunch hour in my schedule, and during Ramadan I didn't need to adjust my schedule so he could eat lunch at the company canteen. The end of Ramadan is signalled by the moon and earlier in the week they didn't know if the holiday would begin Thursday or Friday, but Wednesday morning the government announced that the holiday would begin on Thursday, which has made for a nice long weekend. Of course, Brent went in for meetings yesterday and is working at home today -- we gave our driver the day off. After Brent got some work done yesterday we went over to Lekki market and I made some fun purchases of items to help decorate our house. I got some great beads and some fabrics to hang on the walls. I'll post photos when I get things hung and arranged. I still haven't been able to upload those long videos from last Sunday. I'll keep trying!


Here's a couple of shots from Lekki market. This first one was from a previous trip, but it gives you an idea of what the market looks like.
I took this second photo right as I entered the market yesterday. I was glad to be able to get a closeup of these dried fish that they sell all over the place. There are often venders on the street with a large basket on their head with stacks of these curled up fish piled high on it. It took me a while to figure out what they were. When I glanced at them from a distance, they look like stacks of burnt bagels. The photo doesn't show the flies crawling around on these. I think this will be a Nigerian delicacy that I won't be trying!

No comments: