Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The 208th good thing about Lagos: Christmas on the bridge

Here in Lagos it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, even though it's still hot and steamy outside. Decorations are popping up all over the place. On the Chevron compound, the trunks of palm trees have turned festive colors.



You can often buy a great variety of things in the go-slows on Falomo bridge. This week, you could buy a small Christmas tree, complete with a few decorations, and also a Santa hat, sold by a red-nosed hawker -- in addition to the long list of normal items sold by the hawkers on the bridge.



Though my sole decoration in our flat is a Christmas ornament that I acquired in a gift exchange, I decided to pass on the purchase of the Christmas tree. Our bags are almost packed and we're getting ready to go -- back to Houston for the holidays. After I get there I will haul out the holly and deck the halls and dream of a white Christmas. (However, Houston had a record breaking and highly unusual snowfall last week, so I probably missed my chance there.) But I'll be home for Christmas -- so that's one really good thing about living in Lagos! I wish you a Merry Christmas and I hope for Joy to the World! (Is it obvious that I've started listening to Christmas carols?)

1 comment:

ee said...

Lol... Houston had snow....am so not moving dere anymore....DC all d way!!!
Wishing you safe trip back to the state.