Monday, October 19, 2009

The 188th good thing about Lagos: spending a birthday fabric shopping in Balogun market

For quite some time I've been wanting to visit Balogun market, which is a great place to buy fabric. It's actually a huge area, where you can find just about anything you want, but today we were fabric shopping. It was a fun thing to do on my birthday, because I didn't feel guilty at all about buying presents for myself! It's in a place where we are supposed to travel with security, so it's a little more complicated place to get to, even though it's not far from where we live. I actually didn't feel like it was an unsafe area at all, but we did have a security guy following us around. I was able to find some great fabric to add to my growing collection -- hopefully someday I'll follow through on those quilt plans I have mulling around in my head.

There were lots of people on the big street, carrying their loads on their heads.


The little side streets were jam packed with people trying to get through tight areas. The tiny shops were stacked with fabrics of all varieties.
The display methods sometimes make me smile...


And there are other things besides fabric -- just had to get a picture of the Obama panties!

1 comment:

L-VII said...

This made me smile, my grandmother owns a shop in Balogun. It's noisy but I always enjoyed sitting in her shop as a child.

Thank you for the pictures.